Fresh Fruit Compote
Fruit compotes are easy to make and perfect as a healthy alternative to sugar-laden syrups. Use them as toppings for waffles, pancakes, yoghurt, cottage cheese, quinoa or oatmeal. Below are two recipes to consider.
Fresh Fruit Compotes
Mixed Berry Compote
- 2/3 cup red raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey (if fruits are ripe, you don't need any sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 oz of blueberries
- 4 oz of blackberries
- 2-3 Tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of honey (if fruits are ripe, you may not need sweetener)
- Combine fruit, lemon juice, water, and honey in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a soft boil and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Adjust sweetness, but try to keep this to a minimum.
- If wanting a thicker consistency, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cornstarch