Sweet Potato Bisque
Nuts in a bisque? Am I crazy? Absolutely!!
Making bisques is often fraught with heavy-laden creams--delicious for sure, but killing your arteries with saturated fat! The fat in nuts, on the other hand, are predominantly mono- and poly-unsaturated fats with a much lower percentage being saturated fat.
As such, let's replace the cream (or part of the cream if you are skeptical about flavor) with a nut crema--specifically, a Spicy-Lemon-Cashew Crema. Tom Brady's The TB12 Method fitness, lifestyle and cookbook has a great version of this! I make it in bulk for all kinds of recipes when avoiding cheese or dairy fats.
The base of the Sweet Potato Bisque recipe is from my Healthy Lives Healthy Kitchens recipe collection 'Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Soup' which I modified to include: carrots instead of pumpkin, honey crisp apples and yellow curry.
Just another way to get nuts in your life!
Sweet Potato Bisque
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, coarsely chopped and peeled
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped and peeled
- 1 large apple, quartered and cored
- 5-6 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper (cosmetically, white pepper would blend it better)
- Pepitas for garnish (or roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot or saucepan, bring cinnamon, salt and broth to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add your prepped sweet potatoes, carrots, and apple.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to Medium-Low.
- Cook for approximately 35 minutes until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- In the meantime, make the Spicy-Lemon-Cashew Crema by combining all its ingredients into a food processor, such as a Vitamix.
- Add 1 cup of Spicy-Lemon-Cashew-Crema to the potato-carrot-soup.
- Add the curry.
- Use an immersion blender to puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pepitas and drizzle remaining lemon-cashew crema.